Welcome to my Blog!



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



I'm a youth pastor in Southern California at a Nazarene church. I've been serving here for about 4 years. We have a large youth group of around 100 teens from all different cultures and backgrounds.

We merged with a Spanish church in January of 07 and our youth groups are now ONE! As of a little more than a year ago, I am working with a co-youth pastor named Javier. If you want to know more about me, you can read my very first blog post here.

I started this blog as a way to remember the amazing things that happen in my everyday life in ministry... the hilarious things that my teens say and do, the joys and victories, and the life stories of the amazing teenagers that are the future of our church, and our world. But I am also glad when it brings encouragement and joy to others. Feel free to leave your comments and let me know you're reading!

I am so blessed to be here, I love my teens... they are my heart!


And by the way...
at our church...
we speak 5 languages!!!
English, Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Gypsy! :)


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket




My kids are rubbing off on me

9:34 AM at 9:34 AM

I am kind of young.

Especially for being a "grown up".

And not only that, but I look like I'm 16. Case in point... oftentimes when new teens come, they ask me who the youth pastor is... or they'll ask me where I go to school, and so on.

I find that I often blend in and parents have a hard time finding me among the 70 teens in the gym. It's much easier to find the tall bald man :)

Part of the reason I blend in is because I often dress like I'm 16. You will more than likely find me wearing ripped jeans, flip flops and a t-shirt rather than a dress or suit.

I am influenced by what the kids are wearing... even though I don't always notice it.

I bought some tennis shoes the other day because I liked them. I've seen them before and I have always kind of liked them. I wore them to youth group and the kids were laughing at me... I couldn't figure out why. Then Javier told me: The shoes I'd bought (Nike Cortez's) are "gangster shoes"... and apparently seeing this little blond girl wearing them made all my kids laugh. But I've decided I like them anyway :)
There are things like that that I just don't understand... or realize. Part of it I think is growing up in Oregon and not really being around the "LA atmosphere"... I am working in a very urban youth group... and I absolutely LOVE it. I wouldnt trade it for the world... although I am apparently still a little clueless. Luckily my kids manage to look past that.

But I am noticing that they are rubbing off on my a little:
:)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey little blonde girl--i think the term is "gangsta." sheesh!

Music We Love!