Welcome to my Blog!



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



I'm a youth pastor in Southern California at a Nazarene church. I've been serving here for about 4 years. We have a large youth group of around 100 teens from all different cultures and backgrounds.

We merged with a Spanish church in January of 07 and our youth groups are now ONE! As of a little more than a year ago, I am working with a co-youth pastor named Javier. If you want to know more about me, you can read my very first blog post here.

I started this blog as a way to remember the amazing things that happen in my everyday life in ministry... the hilarious things that my teens say and do, the joys and victories, and the life stories of the amazing teenagers that are the future of our church, and our world. But I am also glad when it brings encouragement and joy to others. Feel free to leave your comments and let me know you're reading!

I am so blessed to be here, I love my teens... they are my heart!


And by the way...
at our church...
we speak 5 languages!!!
English, Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Gypsy! :)


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket




Random tidbits from 2008

9:21 AM at 9:21 AM

It's 2009.

Which is a bit of an adjustment for me considering I'm still writing 2007 on everything... so I guess I'll just skip 2008 altogether.

I thought I'd share a few more stories from last year (that sounds so funny!) that I keep forgetting to blog about. So here is a compilation of random things that have happened... and stories that have been told...

Enjoy! :)

* * * * *

I am terrified of spiders. It's a phobia. It's irrational. I cant explain it, but I do NOT like them. Well a few of my teens have managed to figure this out. We were sitting in small groups the other night, and apparently there was a spider web on the ceiling. One of the teens pointed it out to me and I proceeded to freak out... just a little :) One of my boys responds with, "you should call my dad... he's pest patrol!!!" Then there was a pause. "I mean control. Pest control." Javier's response: "So basically your dad is a hit man for bugs?"

* * * * *

One of the things that happens at Christmas time, is that each department is responsible for doing something in the Spanish service as a Christmas celebration. Usually for things like this, Javier and I plan it and the kids carry it out. But this time as we were talking, I told the kids that we wanted them to plan it. So they got excited and began to brainstorm. Their idea ended up being something with a Santa suit... elves... and a song in Spanish with a few English parts. I believe there was also going to be some dancing and clapping. One of my teens says, "I'll bring the lighters!" (if this doesnt ring a bell, read this blog entry). To which I responded in protest, "Did you just say you'd bring the lighters???" Another teens answered, "you said we should plan it and that's our plan!"

Needless to say, Santa, the elves and the lighters all failed (I promise I had nothing to do with it!) and the teens sang 3 wonderful songs! :)

* * * * *

Last Friday in small groups, we had a pretty small group of kids. We decided to do something a little different. We spent the whole time gathering around each of the teens and praying for them. Some of them had specific needs and struggles, and others we simply prayed for a solid, blessed year. It was a wonderful time of lifting our kids up and supporting and encouraging them. At the end, we all gathered in a circle and they prayed for Javier and me. In the middle of the prayer, I felt something wet on my arm (which was around a kid). I ignored it and continued praying. A few minutes later, I felt someone wipe it off. After the prayer, I turned around and one of my boys was standing behind me with a straw in his mouth laughing. I guess the straw had flicked water on my arm and he didn't know what to do. So he sat there for a minute and then decided he should wipe it off.

* * * * *


0 comments:

Music We Love!