Welcome to my Blog!



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



I'm a youth pastor in Southern California at a Nazarene church. I've been serving here for about 4 years. We have a large youth group of around 100 teens from all different cultures and backgrounds.

We merged with a Spanish church in January of 07 and our youth groups are now ONE! As of a little more than a year ago, I am working with a co-youth pastor named Javier. If you want to know more about me, you can read my very first blog post here.

I started this blog as a way to remember the amazing things that happen in my everyday life in ministry... the hilarious things that my teens say and do, the joys and victories, and the life stories of the amazing teenagers that are the future of our church, and our world. But I am also glad when it brings encouragement and joy to others. Feel free to leave your comments and let me know you're reading!

I am so blessed to be here, I love my teens... they are my heart!


And by the way...
at our church...
we speak 5 languages!!!
English, Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Gypsy! :)


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket




Ghetto Heaven

9:48 AM at 9:48 AM

In Sunday School a few weeks ago, I was asked a question I never in my wildest dreams would have EVER expected to hear: "Is there a ghetto in Heaven?" It made me laugh at the time, but I got to thinking about it later and it didn't seem so funny.

I grew up in small towns in Oregon. Most of the people I knew were middle class white people. As I've talked about before, I never really understood or knew much about racism. For me, a person is a person is a person. Race was simply a physical characteristic, like blond hair or brown hair. With that often comes culture, but I've always taken an interest in different cultures and I think that is so cool! But when we moved here to Southern California, my world got turned upside down. I couldn't believe the amount of racism and hatred that was around me.

I was also shocked at the amount of poverty and homelessness. I never knew what a "ghetto" was. I didn't understand what that meant. But when I moved here and I began to get involved in ministries and outreaches, I began to realize the immense about of suffering and pain that surrounds us. My eyes have been further opened since I began working with the Spanish ministry and going on trips to Mexico and doing things that are a little outside my comfort zone sometimes.

When I started thinking more about the question of a ghetto in heaven, I realized that there is a lot of prejudice and hurt in the lives of my teens. Many of my kids feel inferior because of race, social or economic class, or citizenship status. I realized that those feelings (though hidden behind tough exteriors, and never being admitted), translate into their understanding of God. At the time we made a joke about Heaven's ghetto having streets paved of silver instead of gold. But the fact is that to God, all of us are His children and He loves us all equally. It seems to be something that is lacking in society... loving people regardless. Loving people because of who they are to God... rather than what they look like or where they come from.

I am so grateful for kids who teach me lessons. I know that it is my job to teach and mentor them... but I often feel as though they are the ones that are teaching me. I am glad that God has allowed me to be their youth pastor and to see life through their eyes.

I know that there is no ghetto in Heaven. I know that because Jesus didn't die for ALL of us... He died for EACH of us. He loves us all... unconditionally... equally. I am so grateful for a God who sees who we are... not what we look like or where we come from.

1 comments:

Derek Hickman said...

I just watched the most incredible movie tonight called "The Freedom Writers". I would recommend every youth pastor or teacher to watch it. It is phenomenal, and a true story. It deals directly with what this blog talks about.

Peace.

Derek

Music We Love!