Welcome to my Blog!



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



I'm a youth pastor in Southern California at a Nazarene church. I've been serving here for about 4 years. We have a large youth group of around 100 teens from all different cultures and backgrounds.

We merged with a Spanish church in January of 07 and our youth groups are now ONE! As of a little more than a year ago, I am working with a co-youth pastor named Javier. If you want to know more about me, you can read my very first blog post here.

I started this blog as a way to remember the amazing things that happen in my everyday life in ministry... the hilarious things that my teens say and do, the joys and victories, and the life stories of the amazing teenagers that are the future of our church, and our world. But I am also glad when it brings encouragement and joy to others. Feel free to leave your comments and let me know you're reading!

I am so blessed to be here, I love my teens... they are my heart!


And by the way...
at our church...
we speak 5 languages!!!
English, Spanish, Korean, Chinese and Gypsy! :)


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket




Just a typical Sunday....

9:10 AM at 9:10 AM

...actually, yesterday was far from typical.

One of the things that we do at our church is something called a brunch service. Actually two of them. About 4 times a year, we forgo our regular church services and instead we set up tables in the gym and serve brunch. While people are finishing their food, we actually have a service! We do this once at 9 and again at 10:30. Since we merged with the Spanish church about a year ago, we've been doing a combined service at 10:30. Basically we do everything in both English and Spanish so we can all worship together. For instance, the Spanish worship team played songs in Spanish, but we put the words on the screen in English so everyone could sing along. Then we had a short drama that was done in English, but the words were on the screen in Spanish. Then Pastor Rollie preached in English and Pastor Orlando translated it into Spanish. Yesterday was one of these services. Here are a couple of clips so you can see what it's like:





As usual, they were cracking me up. Chrisha (one of the girls) is absolutely hilarious! ALL THE TIME! We were sitting at a table and the kids were rowdy and I said to them, "You guys are out of control!" And she looked at me so very seriously and said, "We're not out of control, you're just in control!" After the service, I headed out to hang out with some of the teens. We hung out for a while at the mall. They are so random and do things completely unprovoked. Like passing out mall maps to random people:



We did a little shopping at the mall...

Chrisha made a new friend:
after hugging her new friend and posing for a picture, she looked at me and said, "She doesn't have a head!"

Even the boys got in on the shopping:

We ran into a couple of the other teens while at the mall and decided to head over and get some pizookies at BJ's. When I discovered that a couple of them had NEVER had a pizookie, I taped their first bites (I am my mother's daughter! :)



At one point during our BJ's trip... I walked outside to meet a couple of the teens, and Daniel decided it would be funny to pour salt in my water. So he did. And when I came back in they were saying everything they could think of to get me to drink the water... and I just wouldn't drink it! Finally Chrisha said, "My water tastes funny", so I took a nice big long drink of mine. SURPRISE!

Just a typical day's work :)
I'll be sharing some more funny stories and videos from the past that I've had on my computer over the next couple of days... I'll probably have some new ones for you too!

0 comments:

Music We Love!